Saturday, October 4, 2008

Classifieds Personified

26.2, thing 6

Boston Globe classifieds vs. Craigslist

I have been desiring a new piece of furniture for my home (whose style I might describe as early American yard-sale), specifically a spiffy arts & crafts 'Morris' Chair. So off to the classifieds with an excuse to search and perhaps ogle some potential specimens. My online Globe search turned up NOTHING under morris chair, chair, furniture, wood.... though browsing showed me there were some things in these categories. Slim pickins though, no photos, limited descriptions, not drawing me in on anything. Craigslist was more fruitful and I found exactly the type of item I've been looking for on my first try, and a beauty at that (ok, might be an eye-of-the-beholder thing) (edited on 10/20 to remove expired link...sorry you can't see the photo, it was a great chair). I've gotta say, from the experience I have already with searching online classifieds, that Craigslist has always been my go-to place, at least to start. There are so many more listings for more things on Craigslist; and there are many connections to make there - e.g. finding not 'stuff' but events, groups, etc. There are no free listings for notices/events/groups on the Globe site; though there are 'public notice' listings that you won't find on Craigslist.

I know fraud can exist anywhere and Craigslist is no exception. When shopping for a used car this summer I found and followed up on what looked like a great deal - the car I wanted, for a price we could afford, available immediately and locally - hah! I started emailing with the post-er who told me she was moving overseas in the next week and if we would send her a bank check for the purchase amount she would let her storage facility in NY know to ship us the car...in parts....hmmm. The dupe here was loudly obvious to us, but not all are. It's possible, in a case like this, that fraud might be less likely in the Globe classifieds, simply because listers must pay for auto sale ads, but you never know. With all online/email interactions, it's easier for people to remain anonymous. Just a reminder to keep sharp when navigating potential purchases, sales, and communications.

I am often called to assist patrons who need help posting to Craigslist - for some, the number of steps to getting something posted hampers them (many launch the effort not knowing they need an email address, thus the extra steps of helping them set up an account withYahoo, Gmail or similar), trying to keep track of what they are doing; for many, reading those squiggly words to verify the posting is almost impossible (I've been finding lately that they are harder to read...is it me?). At any rate, I really like the concept of Craigslist - diverse community connections for multitudinous reasons....

I have posted a handful of things for sale or for free on Craigslist, with decent success. I regularly post library events also - the branch book group, teen program, etc. Here is a posting for the October meeting of the Honan-Allston Library Book Discussion Group. (sorry, this link expired now too.... but I post every month - search boston.craigslist.org under groups).

Identity: hopeful chair owner

No comments: