Monday, October 20, 2008

Photo opt

26.2 thing 9

Being a total google gal, I've had a Picasa account since last December when I got a much-longed-for digital camera (which I LOVE). It's been awesome for sharing photos with far-flung family, which is what I use if for mostly. I love the ease of downloading, labeling, setting up and sharing albums. If only the many shoe-boxes of print photos from the rest of my life were so easily dealt with!

I did a lot of fun exploring and I could easily see using Picasa, or Flickr to document library events and activities over time. I also think it would be fun to coordinate some kind of photo-related activity for the new teen group I'm trying to get off the ground using Flickr....must brainstorm this and see what might work. I'm very impressed with the Emerson Library project - bravo! A great idea to work off of. Also, one "album" I discovered on Flickr (when searching for Allston Library) was populated with photos of potential materials and design ideas for use in a building renovation project - the photo tagged as 'Allston Library' was only of the slate floor tiles in the entry way. I thought this way of documenting .and organizing project ideas was neat (and somewhat Martha...). I did in the end find a good full building photo of the library.

I decided to set up a Flickr account to more fully explore its features and compare to what I know from Picasa. In doing so, I ran into (not for the first time) one of the complications, but realities, of utilizing web 2.0 - having to keep track of memberships, log-in names, screen names, passwords, profiles and potential upkeep for each (one reason why I've operated mostly in google...began long ago with having a gmail account). But alas, I did have a yahoo account (two different groups I've belonged to have created groups in yahoo to coordinate communication and logistics)...I just had to spend some time digging around my saved emails to be reminded of my entry info.) Overall, I think I like the Flickr set up better - just a little easier in some small ways.

Check out my first Flickr photo set.

No comments: