26.2, thing 19
I love delicious! I created my account in 2006 when, between two jobs, and working at home, I had 3 or 4 computers I might operate from at any time. Having my bookmarks saved in one place, available from anywhere, and organized in a way that helps me find my resources easily saves me. My tag organization is not quite where I want it to be... having populated my delicious page before having an actual system (duh, I'm a librarian, how hard can that be); it's a lot of work to retroactively apply...but I muddle around with it once in a while...it's an ongoing process. I have found so many useful and cool sites by following links to other people's lists.
Intut is an example of a great resource I was introduced to when bookmarking a reference site on delicious - I found it via a link to someone else who bookmarked the site I was on. I've found a lot of sites this way - looking at who else has bookmarked the sites I bookmark and what else they've bookmarked.
Since I'm so familiar with delicious, I decided to check out some of the other sites for this assignment. I did some fun exploring in FURL. Once upon a time in my life I was a hand papermaker (i.e. making artful paper by hand) ....mashing pulp and making sheets for cards and stationary, crafting funky paper sculpture....using lots and lots of water. It was fun and satisfying. It's been a decade since I've done this actively and I've recently been trying to find a way to sell or pass along my papermaking tools and supplies. No luck trying to sell on Craigslist. I decided to utilize FURL in search of a Mass. papermakers. My finds included the web site for Handpapermaking - a site devoted to the art and science and community of papermakers. Among the community listings here I found Meg Black, an artist who paints with paper pulp and for whom I served as a studio assistant for a year at a class at Wellesley College - I'd almost forgotten about that! It was an incredible growth experience for me. (current life happens in such intenstity sometimes that the past is shadowed....). Another Boston area artist whose work I hadn't seen is Joyce McDaniel - she focuses on sculpting with paper. It is a very versatile medium. I did not find much beyond the Handpapermaking connections though in this arena. A link to Toiletpaper World came up though....huh (interesting in a way maybe). Just confirms that you can find ANYTHING on the web! Also some disappointing dead links to a 'Book Arts on the Web' page (will use a search engine to see if I can find this). What I'm missing in furl is the ability to see how many people have bookmarked a page and what else they have found.
Back to the drawing board on selling my stuff...
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment